Doug Lowrie Auto Body Service Inc. was established in 1953 by Norman Douglas Lowrie and his brother, Al. Since then, the business has remained in the exact same building in the small borough of Bernardsville. The two brothers were inspired to found the business by their father, who repaired horse-drawn carriages and cars in Newark. This was back in the day when vehicles were still painted with brushes.
Norman's son, Doug, began working with them in 1967. Together they ran the business until Norman retired in the mid-eighties. Doug continued to run the business with help from his wife, Addie, until they retired in 2001.
Norman and Doug hired Ron Pace in 1980. As the years went on, Ron became more and more involved. In April of 2001, Ron bought the business from Doug and Addie and renamed it Pace Collision Services Inc. However, the trade name of the business remains Doug Lowrie Auto Body, as it is so familiar to many longtime area residents. Today, the shop continues to improve on its reputation for quality work and small-town service.